Sunday, August 12, 2012

Tomorrow Never Dies

Starring Pierce Brosnan, Jonathan Pryce, Michelle Yeoh, Teri Hatcher, Joe Don Baker, Samantha Bond and Judi Dench as M

Directed by Roger Spottiswoode

Release Date: December 12th, 1997 (United Kingdom)

James Bond takes on Media Mogul. Seriously.

If someone had to ask me who's the best James Bond, I'd have to say I have 3 choices: Daniel Craig, Timothy Dalton, and Sean Connery. Each of them has a unique quality I like about how they play the character. However, I'd say that Pierce Brosnan would have to be my least favorite. He relies too much on one liners and gadgets, and he was just not as good as other actors in the part, but that's just my opinion.

The movie....wow, this was a chore to get through. While there are some good parts, a lot of it is just dull.

What works: Michelle Yeoh. I liked her character; I read on IMDB that producers were considering making a spin-off film with her character, but it never happened. I think this is unfortunate, because Yeoh has good chemistry with Brosnan and her fight scenes are energetic and fun. Johnathan Pryce, who I loved in Brazil, has a lot fun playing Elliot Carver. It's pretty obvious he's modeling his performance off real-life media mogul Rupert Murdoch, but turning up his mannerisms to "11".

What Fails: There's too much reliance on gadgetry. Every time Bond is in a tight situation, he uses a gadget he conveniently got from Q in Act One. It's not the most notorious film that has this problem, but I was annoyed by it. Also, the plot is really dull. Sure, the premise of politics being manipulated by the media is intriguing, but I never thought the story lived up to that potential.

Final Thoughts: Not a bad James Bond movie, just fairly average.

Rating: 3 out of 5


No comments: