Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods

Starring Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchinson, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, and Bradley Whitford

Screenplay written by Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon

Release Date: April 13, 2012

Because of the nature of this film, I'll avoid the plot details of The Cabin in the Woods. Therefore, I'll breakdown my review by WHAT WORKS and WHAT FAILS.

WHAT WORKS: When one hears the words "Joss Whedon" attached to a television show or movie, you can expect well-written dialogue and an intriguing premise. If you've never heard of Whedon before, he's the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse. More recently, Whedon directed THE AVENGERS, which has made nearly $1.5 Billion and he's already signed on to direct the sequel. Whedon is known for his quirky dialogue, strong characters, and as a director, he's done great work with action sequences.

Therefore, Whedon's pop culture dialogue comes out of pothead Marty, played by Dollhouse alum Fran Kranz. Marty had to be one of my favorite characters due to his snarky sense of humor making light of the situation he and his friends are in.

However, what truly made the film for me had to be the scenes with Sitterson and Hadley. When people talk about this film, it will most likely be about these two. Their day-to-day attitudes, their unusual conversations...I found these two to be interesting characters. If anything, there needed to be more of these two.

What Fails: When I saw trailers for this film, the ad campaigns were heavily focused on the horror aspect. Sure, there are horror elements to the story, no denying that. But when you get to what's stalking our group of teens....I just didn't flinch. Maybe I've seen too many horror films myself, but I didn't find the monster at all frightening. Just to clarify, there are some frightening parts, but nothing terrifying.

Final Thoughts: The Cabin in the Woods has a lot of great ideas, I'm not denying that. However, part of the film has to do with HORROR, which never truly works for me. Still, there's some great dark humor and a dizzying plot twist. I'd recommend it if you're a fan of Joss Whedon.

Rating: 4 out of 5 

No comments: